Sunday, June 15, 2008

Packing my bags again

I got back yesterday from the 4th annual Childlight Conference at Gardner Webb University. It was a full couple of days of plenary and breakout sessions and some more relaxed time with homeschoolers, private and public school teachers, academicians, and others who embrace the educational philosophy and methods of Charlotte Mason. It was a rich time.

My favorite sessions at the conference were John Thorley's presentation on the early correspondence of Charlotte Mason. John is a classicist, educator, and historian and his humor and engaging style drew all of us into the life and times of CM as a young teacher.

I also loved getting to meet and hear Tammy Glaser who is a homeschool mom applying CM's philosophy in her work with her autistic daughter. Very, very inspiring and encouraging.

I'd love to write more, but I need to pack my bags again! I'm heading out this afternoon for a week as a dorm mom and lab assistant for 30 high school girls who are attending an Anatomy and Physiology Camp at Appalachian State University. I'm excited about it, but a little daunted at the prospect of spending the week in the dorm with that many high school girls!!! Yikes. I'm used to high school boys. This will be interesting...

I'll be taking a break from the blog for a bit. See you when I get back.

No comments: