Friday, February 29, 2008

Dissection

I just have to say that I do love dissections. Yesterday, in preparation for Joel's CC class today and for a biology lab for Matthew, we dissected a sheep heart. It was fascinating and fun...yes, fun. Tracing out the major veins and arteries that lead to and from the heart, refreshing my understanding of pulmonary and systemic circulation, finding the four chambers and seeing the thicker muscle wall on the left side of the heart where the blood passes before being pumped all over the body, seeing the "heart strings" as they are called, the tiny white chordae tendinae that connect the papillary muscles that control the opening and closing of heart valves to the thin membranous valves themselves and more. I can't wait to lead a group of four students through their dissections today. It is rich discovery learning. I hope I can ease a couple that I know are squeamish over their discomfort and into fascination this afternoon.

No comments: