Thursday, February 21, 2008

Today in school

It's a quiet day of working away at our books. Here's a bit of what we are up to so far this morning....

We looked at different types of pollen grains under the microscope.

We graded a French vocabulary exam. Ouch for one person. Going from English to French is harder than French to English.

I wrote a short quiz on photosynthesis which M has to take later. He's studying for the Biology SAT Subject test. Better to take it this year while it's fresh in his mind.

We read aloud from All Quiet on the Western Front, The Yanks are Coming: The United States in the First World War, and The Roots of Endurance. From that last book, we are reading about William Wilberforce. We read early this morning, right after breakfast since we didn't have our normal family reading/devotional time since Andrew had to work.

The gnome worked on math outside again. Might be the last day he can do that this week since rain is predicted later today and tomorrow.

Everyone worked away on their own with math, history reading, science, and J did his geography work, mapping Asia and reviewing capitals. J also writes a narration each day on his history reading. I am so behind in reading his narrations. He types at least a full page a day, remembering and processing what he has read in The Story of the World, Volume 4. I am very pleased with the way his writing seems to be developing so naturally through these written narrations.

J is loving his current book, Let the Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred Taylor. He says it's sad, though. It is the sequel to Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.

TO DO
I need to work ahead and scope out a reading schedule for the next American Lit. book that I'll do with M and his cousin. We're going to read Red Badge of Courage together. After that, no more war novels for the rest of the spring.

I've also got to do my reading on the heart and prepare to lead a group of students in a dissection of a sheep's heart a week from tomorrow at CC. Should be fun. I have a sheep's heart sitting upstairs on my dresser (sort of gross looking) and we'll dissect it next week so I can get more familiar with it myself and have a sample for the students to look at before they begin to cut!

1 comment:

Amber Benton said...

So nice to find your 'nest' --- I'll enjoy watching the eggs as they are laid and hatched!