Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On top of the math hill....

Originally on Ebenezer Stories, 11/21/2006

We had a very funny conversation about math last night. It was prompted by Thomas and Andrew's visit to Davidson yesterday and questions about math in college. You may know that Coty was a math major and I never took a math course in college. Opposites attract, I suppose! Our children have varying degrees of aptitude and love for math. Most of them are good math students, but so far, no one has demonstrated a real passion for it. That may be my fault for conveying my own fear and mental block toward anything mathematical. I know I need to be rehabilitated, but honestly, I think it's too late! Anyway, the conversation went something like this:


"If Daddy is so good in math, how come none of us are math whizzes?" (I'm not sure that's true, I mean the part about none of them being whizzes)

"Is Jonathan taking any math at Gordon? Did Erin?" (I don't think so...)

"Calculating determinants makes my head hurt. I mean it's not hard, it's just takes so long. Why does it have to be like that?" (I agree, that's how I felt, though I don't remember anything about determinants)

I like my math. Geometry is neat...I mean, I learn something new and cool every day." (Well, yes, I did like geometry in high school)

Well, it's downhill from there - just wait til you get to Calculus." (I never did!)

"I guess I'm on the top of the math hill, then." (Let's hope it's a plateau for you and next year you'll still enjoy the view from the top!)

No comments: